According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), the Wayzgoose was originally an entertainment given by a master-printer to his workmen to mark the beginning of the season of working by candlelight. In later use, it meant an annual festivity held in summer by the employees of a printing establishment, consisting of a dinner and (usually) an excursion into the country. In more recent times it has become a celebration held by printing and printmaking studios/communities where artists, craftspeople, technicians and printers get together to celebrate their work with their friends and families.
We invite you to take an excursion into the New England region and join us for a celebration of printing and printmaking at the New England Regional Art Museum for our inaugural Wayzgoose event. Join with local and visiting artists, printers, speakers and presenters for a relaxed weekend of events, workshops and activities celebrating all things print!
The Wimble’s Wayzgoose weekend (28-30 April 2017) will include a range of activities for everyone ranging from experienced printers through to interested bystanders including…
Friday 28 April 2017 – Words, Text &Images
A half-day seminar and talk-fest on the past, present and future of printing, printmaking, design and typography with series of guest speakers including Clint Harvey, Helen Cole, Robert Heather and others (TBC).
Free admission – afternoon tea provided.
Saturday 29th April 2017 – Inky fingers – workshops and masterclasses
- Wood engraving – one day workshop with David Frazer (Castlemaine, Vic)
- Bookbinding – two day workshop with Adele Outteridge (Studio West End, Brisbane)
- Screenprinting – one day workshop with Ms Brown’s Lounge ( Darren Bryant & Joanna Kambourian from Lismore Art Space)
Bookings required for all workshops and masterclasses.
Book online – click on each workshop for further information.
Sunday 30th April 2017 – Printers Picnic
Bring the family along for a casual get-together down by the Museum of Printing in the Black Gully with great food, live music and lots to see and do.
- Print & Maker’s Mini-market – buy, swap, sell – artworks, prints, type and equipment
- Barbeque with craft beers and local wines
- Live music and kids activities including Simon Mellor from Magic Electricity Box and others
- Pop-up exhibition by Black Gully Printmakers
- Letterpress printing demonstrations using the type and equipment from the F.T. Wimble Collection by artist/curator in residence Clint Harvey
- Artist talks by local and visiting printmakers
- Wimble’s BIG Wayzgoose outdoor printing event
- Book launch event – Keep the presses running by Dr Benjamin Thorn
- NERAM Print Room Exhibition – New Impressions from the Hamilton Wood Type and Print Museum (USA)
Stay in touch for information as more events and activities get added to the program.
Wimble’s Wayzgoose is presented by: